Monday, March 7, 2011

Reflections on Renewal

“But that is not the way you learned Christ!— assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off  your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:20 – 23).

“Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth” (Col 3:2).

“Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ” (1 Peter 1:13).

It is a tremendous thing when you are able to differentiate between an old way of living and a new one. When I was saved, I became new. There was a distinguishable difference in the way I lived, loved, and became. This is new nature is a bit like an override switch causing my sin nature to yield, yet the sin nature is still inside, begging to be free. I look at sin like a cancer, it has saturated my entire being to the DNA level; I have been given chemo, the Holy Spirit, to fight this sin inside of me. Thankfully, I know the end of this story, I am being renewed from glory to glory, and the sin nature will eventually be completely replaced with a completely healthy and whole self.

When I see the above verses, they make me think. What is going on in my head? Is everything that comes through the pathways I have created from past desires and temptations, actually good for me? How can I differentiate this old me and this new spirit in me? This looks like a continuous questioning of every thought I have that passes through my head. I ask is this coming form my new nature, my old self or is this the voice of God? I even have placed wise men and women in my life that can help me when I cannot determine the voice of the thought pattern I am in.

A carefully siphoned thought life is only a piece of the puzzle though. The word of God is a great place for renewal. Psalm 119:9-10 says: “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments” (English Standard Version)! Renewing your mind with the truth of Scripture is vital for transformation. How can we be changing if we do not understand even the simplest tenants of our faith?

The reality is that we have some ability to gain freedom and when it is presented to us we should take it! 1 Corinthians 7:20-24 describes this beautifully:

Each one should remain in the condition in which he was called. Were you a slave when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.) For he who was called in the Lord as a slave is a freedman of the Lord. Likewise he who was free when called is a slave of Christ. You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. So, brothers, in whatever condition each was called, there let him remain with God (English Standard Version).

I will do whatever I can to “avail myself the opportunity” and renew my mind. One cannot forget that the only way we are saved is the grace of God consuming our lives, so I will glorify my King today wherever I am at; be it enslaved or completely free, to Him all honor goes. 

No comments: