Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Stirring

From Evernote:

A Stirring

Clipped from: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=philippians%202&version=ESV
Blogging used to be a simple open conversation, a place to speak out loud the rumination of my mind, a "chewing on the cud" if you will in a virtual setting. What I am finding though is that it has become a platform for dissension. Frankly, I only write when I'm frustrated. Now as an artist, I do understand that there is a place for this. This is not something I every want to lose. Beauty will always abound in the torrential, in the unsafe and in the discord. But, if I ever want to become a Titus 2 woman, who grows in Godliness, then I must also be conscious of the beauty that abounds in moments of peace, in sacred contemplation, and in times of exuberance. 

So, I am introducing a new recurring theme to my blog. One that will continue to answer the question: What is stirring my affections for Christ? Answering this question will cause me to reflect on the good. To asses what brings my joy, hope, and strength; in essence where my dignity resides. Though this blog platform will never show my truest nature, and I will never have the ability to be so self aware, that I understand myself completely, I do hope that this paints a fuller picture of the woman of God I have been called to be. I pray also that as I open up a conversation into a bigger story, that this would spark a fire in your own life. Christ is everywhere, but it is our responsibility to point out and proclaim those divine intersections. 

Without further ado, here is what is stirring my affections for Christ: 

Ebc270eb8f8954d1a51cc5daecdd28

Just recently, my life has taken a sharp turn towards a fuller missional reality. I work part time as a hairstylist and part time at my church. One unexpected result of this transition has been a huge freeing up of my time. As an artist, this allows me space in my day to create in response to inspiration. It has given room in my schedule for times of organic creating. This gray swing top is an example of just that. I was inspired here, and because I had time, that inspiration became a reality.  

Another design flow:
This + this + this + that
97c04c3e120532a36ed74f061f4aad

These moments of creating have allowed me to sit under the tutelage of our God as creator. In these moments of fabric collisions I am utterly aware of how deeply I worship through the act of making something out of "nothing". It draws me to realize how colossal God is, and how difficult it is for me to create and how with ease God created in divine complexity. My heart is deeply stirred for God in these moments. 

Ab8a1c079eb5f54d54d3a06454d6b6

Little miss Ava is my buddy. We are learning from each other. A few months ago, Ava's mother Ashley and I were asking each other what a Titus 2 woman looks like. What does it mean for a woman to train up another in real moments of LIFE? We decided to put feet to our question and begin to messily integrate our lives. We both saw a common need, and began to reach out and meet it. Ashley and I now walk every morning. This daily rhythm is becoming such a sacred space for me. Allowing room in my life for daily conversations with a Godly couple such as Ashely and her husband Brian, is teaching me so much about intentional Godliness in a family setting. What a treasure this is for me as a single woman to be able to be a part of a family. I am so thankful for these moments!

2ea2766f48b7f7cdbcc33835c547e0

My sister Hunter has decided to move to Colorado. She is staying at my house till she finds a space to call her home. We have been able to drink coffee together, squint at For Rent signs and get all her applications for college squared away. I love having active relationships with my family and this has been such a renewing season for use both! 

5edffa49d32fb17e0d43349c9f15db

Speaking of coffee... I got a cold brew coffee system and I am in love! It brews simply, sweetly and fully loaded with flavor. It also enhances my patience as it takes anywhere from 12-24 hours to brew. In my opinion the wait is worth every second! How do I see God here? Well, I have a hard time seeing ANYTHING before I have had a cup of coffee. :D

13baba5e24d3cf4bcc923590aed1f3

This year has brought me to such a wonderful place! I am so astonished that I have the opportunity to serve God with my specific talents. I am amazed that God would write into my daily life small tales of restoration as I walk ladies through the process of cutting their hair. There is such a sense of renewal and reviving. This is hard work, but the end result is purely divine! 

D5d1934d47f48f6d45281d830a78c7

Finally, I have been meditating on Philippians 2:1-11. It is such a simple, yet complex telling of the impact of the Gospel in our lives. 

So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.  Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I wanted to really sit on the first part of this passage for awhile, so I decided to chalk it up. I had seen some handlettered art that really inspired me, so I shamefully copied their style and input Philippians 2:1-3. Its lovely, and it is moving me closer to the heart of God. 

 
7a81ac0a73b42e9e07785975a77694

*the two on the left are the inspirations and the one on the right is hanging in my house*

Two questions I hope you ponder deeply:
1) What moments in your week were intersected with the Divine?
2) What actions are you taking because of these moments?

No comments: