Friday, May 21, 2010

thoughts...and blogging on my phone sucks.

i'm at the hospital right now.
times like these always cause me to ponder. I
i came across an idea of media and thought i'd share.

"Marshall McLuhan once quipped that anyone who tries to make distinction between education doesn't know the first thing about either. In typical fashion, McLuhan breaks down the high and low culture distinctions that sometimes get in the way of grappling with what's in front of us. A story (whether in a book, a thirty-second ad spot, a sitcom, or a song) isn't merely entertaining. It's telling you something. It has content. It seeks to feelingly persuade. It will colonize your imagination as you're sitting there laughing to yourself.

The media we admit into our lives are alive and signaling. Do we engage, or are we merely engaged? When we talk about literature or rave about a film, when we write something down or commit a line to memory, are we looking to open the doors of perception? If we don't talk about what we're taking in, why is it worthy of our energy? Have we lost the notion that Shakespeare is tying to tell us what's going on? Do we find the writing of Zora Neale Hurston trustworthy? Is Emily Dickinson a good intelligence gatherer in her poetry? Literature is a public broadcasting system. What is being proposed, made plain, revealed?"
-david dark

this is making me wonder at what I am taking in.
what am I able to talk about and why am I filling my time with the unnecessary?

No comments: