Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Perfect Fit

Anyone remember the melodic intuition post a bit ago? It was a rambling on music, it was also a revelation on community. I found that I have an issue singing the melody and need others around me to sing it so I can fit with them in harmony. So that I can be a better me, so they can be a better them. 

Today at church I realized that this body of believers needs me. Everyone there sings melody. I fit. Perfectly. I have never had this feeling at a church or in a group of people, ever. I have always felt that everyone around me was fumbling to fit in, or to fit out. Either way no one has truly needed me. I have surrounded myself with people who do not need me as I do them. They have community, they have ministry and they have others who complete their melodies better than I can.

I am learning that I need people, community, church, friends, who need me. People who do not feel sorry for me, but people who actually sound better when I am with them. In music if you fit the wrong people together in an ensemble you will get a terrible, horrid sound. It is not that the folks are bad singers; it is that they sound brash together. There is a sweet spot of musical interlocking; when you put two people who can anticipate each others movement, strength and weakness, there will ear candy abound.

I have found my sweet spot. I have found a community of people whose heart beat like my own. I can make them sound better than if they were singing in solo. This I feel is what church might actually be. It’s a nestling. It’s a convergence. It’s a perfectly anticipated duet. This, my friends is beautiful thing: I belong.

No comments: