Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Tale of Two Stories

Over the past few weeks I have been taking a break from all the noise.
I have a fantastic ability of filling every silent moment with an
asinine amount of white noise. There is no depth to it, there is no
significance to it and there is absolutely no eternal value in it.

To remind myself of these facts, I have to shut everything off for a
bit and readjust where my head is at.

Thank you all for your respect of my silence. It has been heavenly
(literally! A cosmic reminder of heaven on earth) and much needed.

Tonight, I submitted the last two finals that are due tomorrow of this
semester. These papers have literally kicked my butt. Not that they
are magnificent or that they were even very long. It was the
information that I was required to put into them that has kept my mind
abuzz.

The first was a research class, where I spent ten weeks learning
everything I could about one topic of my choice. This topic was Modern
Slavery. This topic has ruined my life. I cannot unlearn the stories I
have read. I cannot take out the ideas of human worth and freedom. If
over the next few months you hear a lot about this issue it is because
it has become ingrained in my heartbeat. I ache for the freedom of
all.

The second paper I wrote was for my worldviews class. I had the
opportunity to write out what I believe, why I believe it to be true
and how this affects my day to day life. This sounds simple enough,
until you actually begin. Its one thing to say you believe something,
its a completely different one when you have to say if you live it
out. The complexities of life are knit into humanity and it was such a
gift to tackle this class so that I can understand the inner workings
of other peoples point of views. Mind boggling and such a deep well I
will continue to pursue academically.

These two classes although completely different have shaped the
direction I am heading in. The story of freedom of body and of mind is
where I aim. I believe that the reason we are in a state of selling
other humans is because of the way in which we view the world. In
America this directly plays out in the priorities we have in our
lives. "Living the American Dream" means exploiting another to attain
a step on the ladder.

As Christians we have two things that others do not: Worth and Freedom
through Christ. We are not bound to the things of this earth, so maybe
it is time for a check-up in the way you are living versus the Truth
you say you believe in. Mind you, this is not easy. It may require
that you step away from the noise and remember where your worth
actually lies.

My life is going to look a lot different now and I may share some of
the changes with you. I do know that freedom is my aim not only for my
own life, but for the billions bound to slavery of all sorts. My
vision just expanded two thousand fold. Direction has new meaning.

No comments: